Current Events are just crazy lately.....................
Arizona Immigration Law....... I've got mixed feelings - but bottom line is I think it requires racial profiling, so I'm against it. (I hope Latinos and Hispanic-Americans boycott Arizona on principal) One positive - it will probably prod the current administration to get moving with immigration reform.
I hope all the DRILL HERE DRILL NOW fanatics have cooled their jets a little given the situation in the Gulf of Mexico. Today I read that the oil spill is only 50 miles off the coast of Louisiana - and they are having to consider setting it on fire.
Goldman Sachs is finally on trial. I hope it's not all for show. So many good people have suffered, in part, because of these greedy SOB's - I hope justice is done. (this whoe financial meltdown going to make a really interesting reading, movie and/or mini-series someday too)
Current Events are just crazy lately.....................
* I listened with great interest and even a bit of awe to Billy Graham give a Ted Talk (old talk from 1998 - retrieved from the archives). I'm not religious in the way most people are, but I do agree that we, the human race, lack the glue that binds us - and don't seem to have a clue, as a world society, how to find it. I enjoyed this talk very much - I enjoy listening to him - even when I don't agree with his specific religious beliefs.
* Poof! Next `Harry Potter' flick moves to NEXT summer
Ouch - there's going to be a few upset peeps out there I think.
* I spent yesterday with my friend Alexis and her friend - we went to see the new Mummy movie and eat Mongolian BBQ. I stopped off at SunHarvest Farms and found Organic soybeans on sale for 89 cents a pound - very good deal these days. I stocked up. We also stopped by the co-op and we both couldn't resist an old fashioned manual crank "coffee" mill (made in China) for $25.99. It said on the box it would grind grains and beans which sold me since I've been trying to find something to crack grains for me for making Tempeh and hot cereals. I tested it and - yes, it works (though it only does a small quantity at a time - it's a good task while watching TV or a DVD). I will post a picture this weekend.
* Is there ANYBODY who didn't see this coming?...... US, Poland agree to missile defense deal
* Every day this week I got my heiny up at 7am and walked 30 minutes before I was awake enough to talk myself out of it. A few of those days I also did the warmup portion of the Inhale yoga show. W00t - I'm on a roll :-)
* Finally - Sweden shows that, not only are they are poor losers, but they can throw one heck of a temper tantrum..... LoL
Swedish fans booed loudly as the judges filed out of the arena. Abrahamian said nothing to waiting reporters but whacked an aluminium barricade with his fist as he left the hall.......Swedish coach Leo Myllari said: “It’s all politics.”
* SKorean firm delivers first commercial dog clones
Aside from the fact that Pitbulls are not high on my list of dog breeds..... do we really need to CLONE them?? or any dog for that matter. In addition - the original dog died of cancer..... don't the cancer genes get cloned along with the bark and wag tail genes? I don't like it - I don't.
* I had a customer today who had MARSVENUS (no hyphen or space) as her first name. I wanted very badly to ask her the background story, but I'm a professional.... :-)
* I paid off my Visa Bill this month for the first time in about 6 months. Let's see if I can keep it paid off every month going forward. Having the truck paid off helps, but now I have to get back into conserve mode so I can get my emergency fund established. I hate money - I wish I was independently wealthy, so I wouldn't have to deal with it (seriously).
* FedEx emailed - my Ipod is at my house waiting for me.....SQUEE!!!! Now I just want to go home, but if I do I'll lose my OT I worked this week.
* I finished painting my hallway - I'll post an entry with pics this weekend.
* I think Jesse Jackson is just suffering from Obama-Envy.
* I am signing up for my vehicle insurance with Progressive - it's 2X the coveraga at over $100 less than the current quote for renewal from my current company! I'm kind of annoyed with Allstate for ripping me off.
* The garden responded immediately to the rain we've had. I guess it's really been starved for water in spite of my watering. I need to get the drip system put back online - this will help.
* Is Demonoid legal? I don't want the feds to beat my door down - especially since my neighbor is leasing me his connection.
Apparently a U.S Marine throws a defenseless little puppy over a cliff while his friends laugh about Mar
If it weren't for someone posting it on YouTube I'd never have known about it.
It sounds like he got an administrative discharge which is unacceptable- if it's true - it should have been dishonorable - and he should have been prosecuted based on our animal cruelty laws.
Article here: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/12/marine.
I won't embed the Youtube video - if you want to see it you can go to Youtube and search (it's probably on the front page anyway).
P.S: If I see this guy on Larry King later I'm going to send CNN a box of rotten eggs.
* The refinery explosion up by Dallas happened first thing this morning. Tetco's price on gas when I drove in to work today $2.99 (16 cents more than the other stations). What price gouging losers.
* Bush Senior officially backed McCain this morning. Please - like we care about the endorsement of someone in the same gene pool as Bush Jr.
* Big Meat recall from a plant that happened to get caught sending out bad stuff. "Raymond said cattle that had lost the ability to walk since passing pre-processing inspections were slaughtered without an inspector having examined them for chronic illness -- a practice he said violated federal regulations and had been going on for at least two years. " Anyone who is shocked by this or thinks this type of stuff isn't commonplace in most processing plants - please go to Amazon.com and buy Mad Cowboy (you can get a vendor copy for as little at $2.50).
Buy Certified Organic Beef people
* Why can't we have a Hilak Clobama as a candidate? I like Hillary's plan, but I won't vote for her because I feel she will be like sandpaper in the bathingsuit bottoms of government. If we could morph the two of them together it would be perfect.
* and finally..... I saw a segment on Dubya in Africa demanding congress approve funds for his Aids project. Good charity, but so fake is his gesture - it's so obvious he's trying to get remembered for SOMETHING besides spearheading the mess our country is currently in.
Now that I have all that off my chest ..... :-)
What I kept thinking about the whole time I watched this was the hypocricy. I don't see CNN doing a human interest story about the slaughter of millions of cows, pigs, and chickens in our own country (unless it has something to with mad cow or Avian Flu).
Are these creatures not sentient beings as well?
There is no shortage of activists for the end of factory farming and other inhumane treatment. So, it's not as though there are no groups or individuals to talk to. Hell, you don't have to travel to Japan to do the story. There are factory farms in every state of the union.
Those animals certainly deserve equal coverage. At least the dolphin (and deer) roam free until they are brutally slaughtered. Cows, chickens, and pigs live their entire life in the squalor, force fed growth hormones, and pumped full of antibiotics.
Why do people vigorously oppose any abuse of Flipper, Fido, and Black Beauty - yet have no problem torturing, slaughtering and eating Bossy, Wilbur, and Foghorn Leghorn?
This is one of the big mysteries I'll probably never solve before I die.
I'm not talking about eating or not eating meat here - I'm talking about at least admitting we are doing the same thing as Japan is doing - we are just a bunch of hypocrites - ugh, it really makes me mad.
I'm thinning out the carrots so the rest can grow bigger.
Aren't these adorable?
I chopped them up really good
and tossed them into a mixed greens salad (making it even more mixed....)
On a Slightly Negative Note.......
Wow - I continually amaze myself as to how out of touch and uninformed I am in spite of watching CNN for 30 minutes every morning....... :-(
What a story this is. It's got all the makings of a Hollywood Blockbuster like Erin Brokowitz or A Civil Action.
The organization tracking all this and organizing the protest is Coal River Mountain Watch (http://www.crmw.net). At that site there is so much more information.
It amazes me that this type of thing is allowed to happen. I want to thump the head of the people in government office - hard!
The whole thing is so incredible - it's hard not to be outraged. Thank goodness there are lawyers and bold people who will take a stand.
It makes me wonder what I'd actually take a stand for. I mean march, picket, and even be subversive over. It's probably because of people like me that these big ugly corporations get away with what they do.
Gives me something to think about today.
(As if the failing economy, the war in Iraq, my crappy job situation, and my inability to lose weight weren't enough..... sigh.)